National Garlic Day promotes the many uses of Garlic. And, there certainly are many uses. It's a vegetable. Its' a herb. It is used in recipes around the world. Garlic has ben used medicinally for thousands of years. About the only negative thing you can say about it, is that it can negatively affect an otherwise romantic evening.
As a medicinal herb:
Phytochemicals in garlic are believed to provide protection against heart disease and cancer. Specifically, stomach and colorectal cancers.
Helps to fight off colds and flu.
Lowers blood cholesterol levels.
Reduces the buildup of plaque in arteries.
Used as a treatment for acne and warts.
Used for toothaches
Celebrate National Garlic Day by using it heavily in your meals and snacks today. Spend some time researching its medical benefits. You might find you are adding more garlic to your menu everyday.
Garlic Butter Recipe
Description: Garlic butter may be best known for making Garlic Bread. But, you'll find plenty of other uses for garlic butter. Try it on steaks, chicken, pork and even seafood. You will want to double the size of this recipe.
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 8 cloves of garlic. Use more, if you like it strong.
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley (dried or fresh)
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Put butter or margarine directly into a container.
- Mince or crush 8 cloves of garlic. Use more, if you like it strong.
- Add garlic to butter, and mix well.
- Add chopped parsley and mix together.
- Mix in grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cover container with a lid, and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.